Friday, April 13, 2012

I want easy points !

I have begun to think that I need free points each time I serve well and hit a great shot. I have been unwilling to respond if these expectations fail. I do not know why I have begun to take it for granted. This attitude has led to a cascade of points being lost and subsequently matches. I need to go in with a frame of mind that I will win, take each point at a time and be prepared for a long 3 hour match. While I think this way carrying out every other activity in life, I have not been able to apply it on tennis court. There are days when I have managed to do it and won. It is evidentthat the philosophy of curbing errors and persevering wins more matches than rash indulgences on the court. I need to get back to my old ways and start winning ugly. Yes, ugly. One of my friends used to play with elegance, but inconsistently and never won. He would encourage me to follow his path. I have never did, it appears based upon my recent showing on the tennis courts, the advice has entered my mind, and is overwhelming my winning it ugly thought processes. I am beginning to see my flaws more clearly. I need to put to back together to string up a few wins and make my time on the court fun-filled and worthy.

I read the ten tips of playing good tennis; it suggested that be aggressive and consistent. Do not gamble and play to your strengths. I believed in this until that decisive match against Bryce, who outplayed my serve and volleying game with his brilliant ground strokes. I chose to change my style based on that one game. It is shocking. I realize that my ego prevailed over my common sense filled mind. I have strived hard to get rid of it. I have only succeeded in few instances. I am training hard and feeling the pleasure of playing than the pain of losing. I need to be pumped up, which has always allowed me to raise the level of my game, in all the sports that I have played.

Hold the racquet with both hands until you choose to swing it. This was the wise words of Abdiel. It pointed to the major flaw that has crept into my technique when I have indulged in transforming my touch game to a power game from the baseline. I am not a power-hitter. I know that, yet I strive. I have not achieved as a serve and volleyer, but I believe that I have. The constant change that my mind seeks should occur after equilibrium is reached, not earlier. I have to be calm, aggressive, consistent, adaptive and intelligent on the court to win more matches. I am capable of all of it. I have to implement it through training my mind. Ultimately, tennis is a mental game and so is life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home